ABOUT THE CTK
CTK (Central Technical Library at the University of Ljubljana) is an academic library that provides students and staff of the University of Ljubljana with informational and library services from fields of technological and natural sciences.
We provide these services also to students and staff of other academic institutions as well as to the members of other organizations and companies.
Our services are based on professionalism, quality, user friendliness and modern technology. In co-operation with other libraries and information systems, our library provides our users access to information and materials from all the world.
– Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 12 a.m.
– Saturday: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
– Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
– Saturday: Closed
Circulating of library materials:
– From library storage facility 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
– From stacks shelves: 8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Lending policy on Saturdays:
Lending and returning of library materials is only possible by using self-service machine for lending & returning (“Knjigomat”). The material from the storage facility need to be ordered in advance by Friday , no later than 6 p.m. The materials with included CDs od DVDs cannot be borrowed through self-service lending machine.
Opening hours during summer (from July, 7th to August, 24th)
– Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.*
– Saturday: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
*Note: on Wednesdays lending desk closes at 2 p.m., afterwards only self-service using the machine for lending & returning is possible.
Lending of library materials:
– From the storage facility: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– From stacks shelves: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– Saturdays: only self-service lending machine
– Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
– Saturday: closed
Extended opening hours during the exam periods (Saturdays and Sundays 9 a.m. – 12 a.m.)
January 12th and 13th
January 19th and 20th
January 26th and 27th
February 2nd and 3rd
February 9th and 10th
May 11th and 12th
May 18th and 19th
May 25th and 26th
June 1st and 2nd
June 8th and 9th
June 15th and 16th
June 22nd and 23rd
June 29th and 30th
August 24th and 25th
August 31st and September 1st
September 7th and 8th
November 9th and 10th
November 16th and 17th
During extended opening hours, after 5 p.m. on Saturdays and on Sundays (whole day), registration for new members and borrowing from the storage facility are not available.
Opening hours in 2019
January 1st closed
January 2nd closed
February 8th closed
April 22nd closed
April 27th closed
April 30th open until 1 p.m.
May 1st closed
May 2nd closed
June 25th closed
Aug 15th closed
Oct 30th open until 1 p.m.
Oct 31st closed
November 1st closed
Dec 24th open until 1 p.m.
Dec 25th closed
Dec 26th closed
Dec 31st New Year’s Eve open until 1 p.m.
Registration and circulation
On the premises of the library, visitors are free to use the library material in the CTK reading rooms, get basic information about library materials and information resources, and request simple queries. They are also entitled to a user training.
However, if you want to:
- borrow library materials,
- access electronic information resources through remote access,
- use interlibrary loan,
- get complex thematic inquiries,
- use library reading rooms,
a membership is required.
You can register for the membership or renew the membership between Monday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m . and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the lending desk. For more information about registration please call +386 (1) 2003 400 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. The membership fee for the period of 6 or 12 months is specified in the current CTK price list.
In order to register you need:
- a valid identity document proving the place of residence (all members),
- a certificate of enrolment/student ID (students) – Students of the University of Ljubljana pay the membership fee to all the libraries of the University of Ljubljana every year when enrolling at their faculty. Therefore, they do not have to pay a membership fee at the CTK, but only have to do a so-called pro-forma registration,
- student card (high school students),
- pensioner card (pensioners),
- certificate of ESS not older than 30 days / proof of entitlement to financial social assistance (unemployed),
- proof of employment at the University of Ljubljana (UL employee).
In the case of minors under the age of sixteen, parents or legal guardians will co-sign the registration form; for further details please contact our library staff.
At the registration you will:
- sign a registration form confirming the acceptance of CTK’s General Terms and Conditions and their provisions,
- choose a password to use the My Library Web Service through which you can order, reserve or extend your loan period in the COBISS/OPAC web environment, order material through interlibrary loan, as well as use Internet reading rooms, access electronic resources remotely or use other services,
- receive a CTK card. The CTK membership card is not transferable.
A membership can also be terminated and the member can withdraw his/her personal consent to the processing of personal data by the library.
Borrowing of library material
Information about the material (books, magazines, etc.) can be found in the CTK’s OPAC, which is part of COBISS.SI.
Some CTK’s printed materials are accessible directly on stacks shelves, others are located in CTK’s storage facility, from where the materials need to be ordered. Information on where the materials are placed can be found in the CTK’s OPAC within the record about the materials under tab “Loan Status” – “Call number – location, accession no.” (in Slovene: “Status v izposoji” – Signatura – lokacija, inventarna št.”). In the “Copy status” section, you can see if the selected material is available for loan, or if it is already loaned and until when.
Materials from stacks shelves (marked with scientific fields) can be borrowed by simply taking the material to the lending desk where you can borrow it with the assistance of a librarian, or choose a self-service mode and borrow it yourself using the self-service lending machine.
If you do not find the desired material, please contact the library staff at the lending desk. You can also contact them to find information about the material, in case of simple queries or any other questions. For more complex thematic queries, you will be referred to our information specialists.
If the material is in the CTK storage facility, please order the material through our library staff at the lending desk. Delivery of material from our storage is every full hour, in case of larger orders by special arrangement. You can borrow the material from the storage on weekdays until 8 p.m., during the summer opening hours until 1 p.m.
On Saturdays, library material can only be borrowed from the storage by prior order. Materials from the storage facility can be ordered by phone +386 1 2003 408 or via e-mail email@example.com, by Friday no later than 6 p.m. You can also order via the My Library web service (users who are not yet members: by phone and e-mail only).
The loan period for printed material (books and magazines) is 14 days.
The loan period can be extended three times. After this, the member must physically return the material to the library and (if not reserved) can then borrow it again for further 14 days (then it can again be extended three times again). In case the member does not extend the loan deadline in due time, a past due fee for the period from the expiry date of the loan until the extension date will be charged.
I there is high demand for specific library material, competent library staff may shorten the loan period. The member is also informed in writing about the shorter loan period – in the list of borrowed material that s/he receives at the time of the loan.
Extension of the loan period is not automatic.
Members can extend the period (at least one day before the expiration of the loan period):
- in-person at the library (at the lending desk during lending desk opening hours or using self-service lending machine during the remaining opening hours),
- by phone +386 1 2003 400, +386 1 2003 401 or +386 1 2003 448 (please call our library staff during the lending desk opening hours),
- via the COBISS OPAC My Library Web Service or via mobile application mCobiss,
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The loan period cannot be extended:
- if reserved,
- if the library material is already past due, or if the number of possible extensions has already been reached
- if the material has a special status (shorter loan term) or if the user’s records show outstanding financial liabilities in excess of € 10.00 or more than 30 days, regardless of the amount,
- if the membership has expired.
Order, reservations or loan renewals of the material can be placed:
- in person,
- by phone +386 (1) 2003 408 – ordering material from our storage facility, up to 10 minutes before every full hour; it can be picked up at full hour,
- by phone +386 (1) 2003 400, +386 (1) 2003 401 or +386 (1) 200 448 – ordering material from stacks shelves, extending the loan period or reserving the material,
- by email: email@example.com,
- via the COBISS OPAC My Library Web Service; to use My Library you need the COBISS OPAC password that you get when you register in the library.
The Central Technical Library at the University of Ljubljana is not just a classical academic library, it is also an information centre for scientific and professional information, which provides information from fields of technological and natural sciences from various databases and other special collections.
Information services of the CTK target a wide variety of users on order to help them searching for professional and scientific information.
Information specialists (professionals from the fields of civil engineering, architecture, electrical engineering, machine engineering and chemistry) provide following services for our users:
- Searching in databases and other information resources.
- Selected dissemination of information.
- Teaching users how to search, evaluate and use specialized information resources.
- Participation in the ‘Ask the librarian’ service.
- Participation in building the ICONDA database.
- Feeding bibliographic records into the COBISS system.
- Running the PATLIB centre of European Patent Organisation (access to patent databases, information searches in the field of patents and other intellectual property).
Our Information specialists are there for you from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. After 3 p.m. requests for information searches and other information services can be left at the lending desk. Information searches can also be requested by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
DOCUMENT DELIVERY AND INTERLIBRARY LOAN
If you need the materials that are not available in our collections or if you require a postal delivery of the material to your home address, you can request an interlibrary loan from the CTK, from other Slovenian libraries of from abroad. We can deliver also other documents in printed or electronic version from all over the world.
You can order:
- subject and scientific books, dissertations, research reports, conference proceedings,
- single issues of scientific and other journals,
- research articles and conference papers,
- SIST (Slovenian) standards, patents,
- guidelines and recommendations,
- various reports,
- other documents according to the license terms of the publishers.
Ordering of material via the Interlibrary Loan Service
Interlibrary Loan Service can be used by individuals (persons – members of the library) or organizations (institutions). Prices depend on service type and service provider (from Slovenia or from abroad) and are published in the official price list.
You can place an order:
– Personally in the CTK,
– Using postal service,
– By e-mail: email@example.com,
– By fax: +386 1 425 66 67,
– Directly from COBISS OPAC using the web interface My Library (“Moja knjižnica”) – you need to be member and have a patron number and password,
– Using an order form.
Data about the ordered materials
When ordering materials using our ILL service, try to include as many bibliographic data about the desired material as possible (author, title, publishing year, publisher, pages, source …).
If the intended use of the material is for scholarly or research purposes, please indicate that in the order. It will enable us to provide you with faster and more flexible service.
Due to the Copyright protection law (in Slovene), DRM and various licenses some forms of materials (electronic resources in particular) are sometimes restricted in use and we are not able to provide those materials to our customers.
Ordered materials acceptance
Ordered materials can be picked up personally or sent to chosen postal or electronic address (in PDF or TIFF format).
– From CTK collections: Articles in 24 hours, books and journals in 2 days,
– From other Slovenian libraries: In 2 – 5 days,
– From libraries abroad: Articles in 2 – 5 day, books in 5 – 20 days,
– In case there are third party or commercial suppliers involved: 2 – 10 days.
Delivery time is approximate as it depends on a number of factors involved in the delivery of the material, therefore deviations from the stated delivery times are possible.
– From the CTK collections: 14 days for books (with the option of extending the loan period), 7 days for journals,
– from other libraries: At least 14 – 21 days, unless otherwise specified by the lending library.
For information about the interlibrary loan of materials, on extension of the loan period, as well as other information regarding interlibrary loan or document delivery, please contact +386 (1) 2003 402 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working hours of the Interlibrary Loan and Documents Department are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can send an e-mail or fax orders at any time.